Say you have an existing EBS volume on Amazon Web Services that you wanted to encrypt. How would you do that? The following guide shows you how to do so via the AWS Management Console.
- Login to your console.
- Navigate to the the EBS Volume you would like to encrypt
3. Right click on your colume and create a snapshot.
4. I always give my snapshots descriptions. But we are going to end up deleting this one.
5. Make a copy of the snapshot you created in step 4.
6. In the copy settings you simply need to choose to encrypt the volume. You can specify the encryption keys to use. For this guide we will just use the standard EBS encryption key.
Once you have your new encrypted snapshot you can easily create a volume from that snapshot and then re-attach it to your instance!